Friday, June 13, 2008

And So It Begins...

After seeing 4 different Dr's regarding my unbelievably irregular cycles, I finally found a Dr. who truly seems to care. Dr. Lin is wonderful. She's so attentive and thorough, and I feel so comfortable around her. She is determined to help me become pregnant. She officially diagnosed me as having PCOS. I don't ovulate and I am insulin resistant. She ordered the usual labwork, which I completed and now I wait until next Thursday when I will have an HSG test done. I'm very nervous about this test, as I've heard many horror stories about the pain involved. I don't know, I just don't look forward to having a cathedar inserted into my cervix, then having a dye solution pushed through my fallopian tubes. I pray that everything comes out "normal" and there are no blockages or fibroids. They say that having this test done can improve your chances of conceiving for around 3 months following the test, so I guess I can tolerate some pain. I will do whatever it takes! I'm scheduled to begin taking Clomid in July. I pray it helps me ovulate.

I'm currently taking 1000 mg per day of Metformin to help with the PCOS. I have been on the Metformin for some time now, and unfortunately it's not helping. In many cases, the Metformin alone can help women to ovulate, but I have not been so fortunate. Ideally, my dosage of Metformin would be 2000 mg daily, however, my blood work testing my liver function is preventing that from happening. Metformin can be tough on the liver, which is proving to be the case in my situation.

So I continue to wait. Wait. Wait. That's all we do when faced with infertility. We wait to see a Dr, wait to have tests done, wait to find out results, wait to ovulate, then wait for the good news, or wait for yet another heartbreaking disappointment. Then we start it all over again. Month after month. Year after year.

No comments: