Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Update on RE Appointment

Yesterday was my "WTF appointment" with my RE. She said that 2 of my 3 transferred embryos were very good quality, and the third was pretty good. She felt that I had a really good chance of this working judging from what they had to work with. But, we all know how that turned out.

She mentioned again that having 22 mature eggs at my age was far beyond anything they would have expected. They were thrilled with that. She also said that my AMH level being 5.8 is great for someone my age (I heard "someone your age" quite a bit yesterday) However, the embryologist had made a note on my chart after retrieval that the egg quality was poor overall, sigh. And, with only having 8 fertilize, the Dr's support that fact. She said there's a chance that using frozen sperm didn't help the situation either, but she didn't think that was a big issue.

We talked a little bit about what my next protocol will be. She really wants to keep me on the same dose of meds, JUST in case I don't respond as well next time. But, because of the fact that I hyperstimmed, they're going to trigger me with Lupron instead of HCG. Hopefully that helps.

She also wants me to start taking a DHEA supplement to help with egg quality. She said there has been many studies done that show it has a significant effect on egg quality (and libido, teehee...added bonus!) Has anyone out there reading this taken DHEA? If so, I'd love to know if it did anything for you.

As far as when my next cycle will be, after much conversation, we agreed to wait until October. At first she was really on the fence about me waiting, because I'm not getting any younger of course (yes, another reference to my ever-increasing age). But the more we discussed it, she understands how desperately I want to lose some weight, and she also would like to give the DHEA a few months to take effect.

She did get tough on me though. She said if I'm holding off because I want to drop 30 - 40 pounds, I better not come back to her office in 4 months weighing what I weigh now!

I won't let that happen.

I WILL walk back into her office 30 - 40 pounds less than I am today, very proud of my accomplishment, and VERY excited about starting my 2nd IVF, which WILL result in me bringing home a baby! Take THAT, negativity!!

10 comments:

Bridget said...

Sounds like a very informative meeting but I wish you didn't have to have it :( I take DHEA but not because of egg quality, I hope it helps you!!

Rebecca said...

Love your positive attitude! I know you will go back in there slimmer and ready to get going and get your bfp! I hope this next few months is exactly what your body needs to bring home baby!

Baby Hopes said...

I am with you all the way on committing to lose weight! I've picked back up with my high impact aerobics. Now to just get back to my pre-treatment diet!

marilyn said...

okay!!! lets get you on a plan!!! I am here to be your lose weight cheerleader! Okay..I lose 35 pounds by eating no complex carbs! Brown rice or sweet potato in the morning with eggs or meat. Then throughout the day..salads, fish, chicken, meat..no fats, but I could have eggs, avocado. Mainly I had chicken breast. Oh..and I lost weight by exercising 45 minutes 6 days a week cardio, and lifting weights 2 hours a week. This helped so much. Oh and when you do cardio you have to raise your heartbeat. I hope this works:)

rebecca said...

Awesome positive attitude!!! Sounds like she gave you a lot of good information. Wishing you lots of luck with the weight loss!

Carlia said...

i am so happy to hear that you're going to give it another go. i haven't heard about taking DHEA, but i'd definitely be interested in possibly trying it. i'll have to do some research. if you want a work-out buddy, i'd be happy to volunteer my services. :) i just started back at the gym and am LOVING it! good luck with everything!

LC said...

I'm so sorry you had to have this WTF meeting. :( Could you let me know any info you find about the DHEA? I will do some research too. Thanks for the update - I've been thinking of you!

Cori said...

I like your plan and your positive attitude towards it all! Best of luck with it all and we will all be here to cheer you on!!!!!

Gen said...

This DHEA will help with the libido? Maybe I should take it ;) kik

You can totally do this - you're already making the commitment by heading to the gym. We'll get back to tracking our food - I've got my walk to work for, you've got IVF ...

We got this!

Elise said...

you will be slim and fabulous and baby ready in October mamasita! I hope this summer you'll totally get to relax and just be selfish...you need it...you deserve it...no one can judge or dictate what is best for you...totally...zen out and have fun!